Please enter your username and password to logon to the member pages
The Spirit of Alaska: Iditarod
The Spirit of Alaska: Iditarod OverviewThis eleven-night action-packed tour of Alaska centres on the world-famous Iditarod dog sledding race. Get in and amongst the action and experience dog sledding through the Alaskan Wilderness. Once the race starts, you’ll enjoy experiences such as snowshoeing, glacier walks and Aurora hunts.
The Iditarod is one of the world’s greatest dog sledding endurance races, covering over 1000 miles of harsh, yet utterly beautiful terrain. This trip offers you the chance to meet the mushers and enjoy the exhilarating race start, whilst also taking part in some amazing winter adventures and exploring this wonderful state. Combining the start of the Iditarod with some of Alaska’s must-do winter attractions makes this an exciting, action-packed tour.
The Iditarod is a world famous feat of endurance and this holiday allows you to meet the people who make it all possible and to mingle with the mushers. You can get a real sense of adventure and take part in trailside activities, but all from a very comfortable perspective.
Starting in Anchorage, you will be taken on a scenic tour of the city, travelling from coast to mountain. You'll then join the Iditarod mushers for their pre-race banquet, which will be filled with sumptuous Alaskan food and captivating tales of races gone by.
You will then head onto the cool waters of Prince William Sound for a small boat cruise into Blackstone Bay, where you will disembark to explore the beach and photograph the glaciers and icebergs that abound. After this, it’s time for the ceremonial and official start of the Iditarod, with all sorts of fun and festivities; you’ll feel a real connection to the mushers as you watch the enthralling start of the race.
Furthermore, one of the favourite highlights is that you will get to join a dog sledding safari at the kennels of former Iditarod champion, Dallas Seavey. This is a dog sledding session like no other!
Travelling north, you will take the scenic railroad to the city of Fairbanks, which is renowned for its Northern Lights displays. Here you will enjoy a tour of the Ice Art Park and International Ice Art Exhibition and an Aurora watch in the wilderness, as well as a visit to the unique Chena Hot Springs, where you can enjoy a dip in the geothermal pools and keep your eyes peeled for the Aurora in the evening. You'll then head south to Anchorage by plane and finally, your tour will then be capped off with a glacier walk during which you can get up close to one of nature’s most marvellous natural wonders.
This tour includes some truly fantastic experiences that provide a wide array of authentic Alaskan winter adventures that really are unparalleled and will no doubt leave you in love with this beautiful northern state.
Included in the price:
- Transfers: Return airport transfers (from Anchorage)
- Accommodation: 11 nights’ double/twin room accommodation with en-suite bathroom
- Meals: 11 breakfasts; 5 lunches, 3 dinners
- Activities: scenic city tour, meet & greet with Iditarod mushers, Iditarod Mushers’ Banquet, small ship cruise into Prince William Sound, Iditarod ceremonial & official start, snowshoeing, husky safari, scenic rail travel from Anchorage to Fairbanks, Fairbanks Ice Art and Exhibition tour, Aurora watch, Chena Hot Springs visit and tour of Ice Museum*, wilderness lodge Aurora watch, glacier hike (order of activities are subject to change)**
- Meet & greet on arrival
- Services of our expert local guides
- Flights: Flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage in economy class is included. Please note that international flights are NOT included **Please note: depending on the weather conditions, the official Iditarod starting point may need to be adjusted in order to ensure a safe start for the competitors. If this happens, your tour will be amended accordingly to accommodate the new starting point and the order of activities, transport and accommodation may need to change. The starting line location will be confirmed 1-2 weeks prior to the race.
AgendaDAY 1: Flights, Arrival And Transfer To Hotel
DAY 2: Scenic City Tour And Evening Mushers’ Banquet
DAY 3: Glacier Cruise Into Prince William Sound
DAY 4: Iditarod Ceremonial Start
DAY 5: Iditarod Official Start And Trailside Snowshoeing
DAY 6: Husky Safar
DAY 7: Railroad to Fairbanks
DAY 8: Free Day and Aurora watch
DAY 9: Chena Hot Springs, Ice Museum Tour and Aurora Watch
DAY 10: Flight to Anchorage
DAY 11: Glacier Walk
DAY 12: Departure