From Britain's oldest human imprints to Scotland’s geographical extremities, this new small group tour mixes breathtaking vistas with great rail trips.
Maximum of 15 people per departure. Departure dates are fixed.
This richly varied week-long small group guided tour revels in the remote beauty and ancient history woven into Scotland’s far north. After exploring icons like mysterious Loch Ness, you’ll delve the mainland’s atmospheric ‘top edge’ of Caithness, before crossing to magical Orkney – a wondrous setting for incredible stories taking in ancient Britons, Vikings and both world wars. The ‘Highland Capital’ Inverness bookends your trip with its own distinctive cosmopolitan style.
The price includes:
- Six nights in hand-picked three and four star-standard accommodation
- Breakfast throughout. A picnic lunch on the train from Inverness to Wick.
- Dinner on three evenings.
- Half day tour including cruise on Loch Ness and time on shore to visit Urquhart Castle.
- Rail travel from Inverness to Wick & Tain to Inverness.
- Tour from Wick, including Dunnet Head.
- Ferry from John o’Groats to Burwick.
- Sightseeing transfer from Burwick to Kirkwall.
- Full-day tour of Orkney with an expert guide.
- An Orkney Explorer Pass including entry to all Historic Scotland sites.
- Ferry from Stromness to Scrabster.
- Tour/transfer from Scrabster to Dornoch.
- Entry to Dunrobin Castle.
- The services of McKinlay Kidd’s tour leader, accompanying the group and providing expert guiding and assistance throughout.
- Transfers as described.
From time to time we may need to make minor changes to the itinerary, such as the specific places visited, but will always replace with alternatives of equivalent or higher standard.
- Dinner and lunch except where stated
- Visit to the Highland Park Distillery (optional visit)
- Gratuities and tips