Please enter your username and password to logon to the member pages
Iceland Auroras by land and sea
Iceland Auroras by land and sea OverviewExplore the best of Iceland in autumn and search for the Northern Lights by sea and on land. You will spend three nights on the Ocean Diamond, journeying to the peninsulas of Snaefellsnes and Westfjords, with a range of exciting excursions which can be added to your itinerary.
Combining three nights at sea and four nights on land, this holiday provides an all-round introduction to Iceland in the autumn. At this time of year, the long days of the Midnight Sun have made way for longer nights and Northern Lights, with the country painted in seasonal colours.
Following an evening in Iceland’s charming capital of Reykjavik, you will travel on the Ms Ocean Diamond for the first half of the trip. This fine cruise ship will take you around Iceland’s coast from the south-west to the north, stopping at the beautiful Snaefellsnes and Westfjords peninsulas. The first is commonly referred to as ‘Iceland in miniature’, with a wonderfully varied landscape; the second is one of the most secluded parts of the country and is truly off-the-beaten-track. In both locations, you will have the chance to add daytime excursions to your itinerary, including trips to the Snaefellsjökull Glacier and Dynjandi waterfall, kayaking, and a ‘Viking Sushi Tour’. Please see the ‘Personalise’ section for more information.
Given your location offshore, you should be well placed to see Aurora displays during your nights at sea. Voyaging the Icelandic waters, you are also likely to spot different types of whales. Onboard the Ocean Diamond, we have included a series of fascinating presentations on both the Northern Lights and whales in this region, as well as subjects of local history and culture. In addition, the ship offers a full entertainment programme in its theatre-style auditorium.
Back onshore, you will spend three nights exploring Iceland’s highlights, staying at an assortment of welcoming hotels. You will begin at the pristine Lake Myvatn before exploring the stunning lava formations of Dimmuborgir. Iceland has a number of picture-perfect waterfalls and our holiday includes a visit to Dettifoss, which is Europe’s most powerful waterfall, and Goðafoss, which is believed to contain the statues of Norse Gods. Search for Iceland’s marine life with a guided RIB wildlife and whale safari and enjoy a guided tour of the colourful city of Reykjavik. A Northern Lights hunt will bring a memorable end to this holiday, particularly if you are lucky enough to witness an Autumn Aurora display as these can be utterly breathtaking.
Included in the price:
- Accommodation: 3 nights on the MS Ocean Diamond (Cabin Type P – 'outside cabin with porthole' - upgrades available), 1 night in a hotel in Husavik, 1 night in a hotel in Western Iceland and 2 nights in a Reykjavik hotel
- Meals: 7 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners
- Transfers: return airport transfers and taxi transfer from Reykjavik hotel to city harbour
- The following activities are included in the holiday: tour of Lake Mývatn, visit to Dimmuborgir lava formations and Skutustadir craters, Dettifoss Waterfall visit, RIB whale watching tour, Goðafoss waterfall visit, Deildartunguhver hot spring visit, visit to Hraunfossar Waterfall, Thingvellir National Park, Reykjavik city tour, Northern Lights coach tour (the order of activities is subject to change)
- Fully qualified guides and instructors during activities
- Expert-led cultural presentations, on board entertainment, and use of gym facilities on the Ocean Diamond
- Tea, filter coffee, apple and orange juice, and still water are included on board the Ocean Diamond
- Fully qualified guides during excursions
- Please note: the itineraries and excursions are subject to change due to weather, sea, and ice conditions and may be changed without prior notice.
Agenda:Day 1:Night in Reykjavik
Day 2: On-Board the Ocean Diamond
Day 3: Stykkishólmur
Day 4: Ísafjördur
Day 5: Land Program – Lake Myvatn, Dummuborgir Lava Formations and Dettifoss Waterfall
Day 6: RIB Whale and Wildlife Safari, Goðafoss Waterfall and Akureyri
Day 7:Deildartunguhver, Hraunfossar Waterfalls, Thingvellir National Park and Reykjavik
Day 8: Departure