Please enter your username and password to logon to the member pages
Castles of Shropshire Marches
Castles of Shropshire Marches OverviewUncover the history of the Marches on a rewarding walk from Bishop’s Castle to the market town of Ludlow via Clun and Stokesay.
- self-guided hotel-to-hotel walking, luggage transported
- discover the heart of the Shropshire Marches
- an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- visit Saxon hill-forts & Norman castles along the route
- stay in fine hostelries serving real ales and tasty home-made cuisine
In the heart of the border Marches, Shropshire is an archetypal English county of great historical importance, from the Saxon hillforts and Norman castles built to defend against Welsh incursion, to the rolling hills and winding river valleys that provided the background to the Industrial Revolution.
Leaving historic Bishop's Castle, this walk follows ancient drovers’ trails along the ridgeways, or 'cefns' of the border, linking in with sections of the Shropshire Way as you approach the historic market town of Ludlow. You pass through charming unspoiled villages, explore castles and hillforts, and wander across common pastureland that has not been ploughed for centuries.