Please enter your username and password to logon to the member pages
Madeira Island Wildlife & Nature
Madeira Island Wildlife & Nature OverviewMadeira is a haven for wildlife and its landscape is utterly breathtaking. The waters that surround the island are home to whales and dolphins & the island itself is brimming with natural wonder and amazement. This seven-night tour takes you from land to sea, searching for wildlife and discovering the luscious forests and towering peaks of Madeira.
The landscape of Madeira is simply stunning and for such a small island, it has a huge variety of scenery. Towering mountain peaks covered in thick, green forests are home to a wealth of flora and fauna and the terraced hillsides are packed with colourful flowers and blooming fruit trees.
The Atlantic Ocean wraps around the Madeiran archipelago and the Gulf Stream makes the sea warm and pleasant and also a perfect year-round home for all sorts of marine life. Bottlenose and Atlantic-spotted dolphins, as well as humpback and short-finned pilot whales are often found here in abundance, making it a wildlife lover’s paradise.
This itinerary has been designed for you to explore as much of Madeira as possible and to maximise your chances of seeing wildlife on land and sea. You’ll enjoy a tour of both the east and west parts of the island, travelling along the winding coastline, through the deep ravines and across the high, jagged mountain peaks. The sub-tropical climate has created beautiful forests of emerald green, filled with flowing rivers and streams and enchanting Levada, which are just asking to be explored and enjoyed. From the towering mountain peaks, you’ll enjoy splendid views of the landscape beyond and the beautiful blue ocean below.
Thanks to its position in the Atlantic, Madeira enjoys warm, comfortable summers and mild winters. In fact, during most months of the year, you can enjoy the sub-tropical climate of Madeira in comfort, with average highs of 16-18°C from December to February and 18-23°C in the spring, summer and autumn, it is a fantastic place to explore across the seasons.
After exploring the island on road, you’ll take part in a boat trip to the dramatic Desertas Islands, which are a haven for wildlife, including a variety of birds and a monk seal colony. You’ll also get to enjoy a whale and dolphin watching cruise aboard a small boat and, if you are in luck, you’ll even have the chance to snorkel with the wild dolphins as they swim in the waters below; a truly magical experience like no other.
Back on land, a guided walk along the Levada do Rei will take you through the forests and terraces that surround the beautiful valley of Sao Jorge. Walking through ancient laurel forest, keep your eyes peeled for local wildlife as you head towards a gorgeous waterfall and savour the beautiful scenery of this stunning island.
Included in the price:
- Transfers: All transfers included
- Accommodation: 7 nights’ hotel accommodation in double/twin rooms
- Meals: 7 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 1 dinner
- The following activities are included in the holiday: East island tour with wine tasting, evening with folklore, Desertas Islands boat trip, west island jeep tour, whale and dolphin watching, snorkelling with dolphins, Levada do Rei (the order of activities is subject to change)
- Fully qualified guides and instructors during activities
- Day 1: Arrival and transfer
- Day 2: East Island tour with wine tasting and evening with folklore
- Day 3: Desertas Islands boat trip
- Day 4:West Island jeep tour
- Day 5: Whale and dolphin watching; snorkelling with dolphins
- Day 6: Levada Do Rei
- Day 7: Free day
- Day 8: Departure and transfer to airport