Please enter your username and password to logon to the member pages
Cities, Palaces & Wines
Cities, Palaces & Wines OverviewExplore Portugal’s most iconic and distinctive cities on a fantastic classic rail journey, with self-guided walking tours through the ancient streets.
- self-guided classic journey by rail with cultural notes
- stay at hotels full of character
- experience vibrant Lisbon, ancient Coimbra, colourful Porto and exuberant Sintra
- visit the unique cultural and historical sights
- opportunities for wine-tasting
- detailed notes for city walking tours
Once the home of great adventurers, Portugal's rich and distinctive cities deserve leisurely exploration, not only to see the architectural legacy that the great flowering of gold-financed culture brought, but also to experience some of its lesser-known corners; and the people, of course, who represent the rich diversity of this evocative country.
Nowhere offers a better opportunity to experience the true character of Portugal more than its most iconic cities, from wine-producing Porto’s colourful and vibrant waterfront on the Rio Douro (‘river of gold’) and the quiet dignity of Coimbra, the oldest seat of learning in the land and birthplace of kings; to bustling Lisbon, the lively capital, and historic Sintra, where a succession of hilltops are capped by ornate summer palaces built by the old Portuguese aristocracy.